Dressing like a stud is not as easy as one might think. You are stepping into a territory preserved for the badass and the manliest men of the world. If you do it the right way, many doors will open up to you almost magically. If you do it the wrong way you might come out as a poser or a phony and your reputation will go down the sink. Fear not, because after doing it the right way for some time I decided to help others and put together this exhaustive post.
Get ready to own the path you walk dressing like a stud on a daily basis. Let’s do this!
Everyday informal stud
A stud dresses informally every day except if he is required to look sharp, but more on that later. A stud doesn’t get too worried about other people’s opinions but gets to the next level in attraction when he cares about looking good. All women want the macho man type that smells good and looks amazing; it’s a fact. Let’s take a look at the informal stud wardrobe piece by piece.
Studs wear jeans. Let’s think of some of the biggest badass in the history of movies like James Dean, Brad Pitt or even Nicholas Cage. Now, the question is what kind of jean should I wear? They should have three characteristics:
– Fit you properly – No baggy jeans and no ultra-skinny, spandex-mixed-with denim jeans. You should wear old-school jeans that fit properly. If you are a skinny guy, a skinny cut will look great. If you are not, maybe go for something like a slim fit or a straight fit, I would say even a slim taper.
– Classic jeans – Stay away from the utterly washed and distressed jeans because they will make you look like a teenager and… you’re over that, right?
– Colors – The colors of a stud jean will always oscillate towards the darker tones. You can have one or two classic light blue jeans nice to wear in the summer, but mostly gravitate towards navy blue and even black. It is important that you stay away from colored jeans.
What do studs do during the summer? Do we wear shorts? You bet we do. The golden rule of stud shorts is that they can never go past the knee. Furthermore, I would recommend half your thigh. The material should be heavily distressed jeans; you can even cut some of the old ones and turn them into shorts. Forget about those short chino-shorts that come in Khaki and those standard, sober and pointless colors. A stud wears either swimming shorts or sawn-off jean shorts.
T-shirts are a huge part of dressing like a stud. The keyword here is simplicity. Leave the big, colorful prints for the younger guys and go for a good, basic, solid-color t-shirt that fits you perfectly. If you are going for V-necks keep them short avoiding the hair in your chest to pop out through the top. Those round-neck, perfect fit t-shirts can be even a little more badass if you roll the sleeves up just a couple of turns. Just think of James Dean on “Rebel without a cause” looking like a complete, epic badass with the hair do, just a pair of classic jeans and a white t-shirt. Roll those sleeves up and make a difference.
For informal stuff, studs do not wear shirts; that will come later on. We like our free soul to show off along with the revelry. Stay away from shirts and chinos as much as you can.
Sweaters? Why not a jacket?
Do studs wear sweaters? Oh yes, when the weather demands it but we prefer to go for a jacket that looks ten times cooler. Let’s face it, everyone wears a sweater. They are comfy and come in all kinds of colors, but true studs settle for jackets like a denim one or a black hoodie. If you live in a country where cold forces you to wear sweater and jacket, then you can look for some turtle neck sweaters to wear with glasses and look like an intellectual alpha. It is important that you leave wool grandma sweaters with funky designs out of the question and stick to sweaters that are either cotton or wool but in solid colors. For example, a cool cotton gray sweater can go with everything you own.
What is casual stud footwear? Well, there are a couple of golden rules you can’t break, let’s take a look:
– Flip flops & sandals – Summer footwear such as flip flops and sandals are great for a day at the beach but NOT suitable for anything else. A stud wears either smart, clean, grown-up sneakers (leave flashy colors for teenagers and rappers) or, in a more advanced level, loafers.
– Crocs – These are completely out of the question; there’s no room in a stud closet for Crocs. You can wear Converse sneakers which are badass but never, ever, ever Crocs.
– Hybrids – This is another big no-no in the fashion realm of a stud. Hybrids are for hipsters and nerds. If you are going to wear leather shoes, go for it full-on. If you are going to wear sneakers do the same. Staying in between tells people you are insecure and have problems making up your mind, very unsuited for your alpha male status.
A stud goes to the office
Not everything is playing and having fun, a man’s got to do what a man’s got to do and pay the bills. Now, can you still show people you are the pack leader when going to work? You can bet on that. Let’s take a look at how to completely own the office look being a stud piece by piece.
The good old khaki chinos and checkered shirt with nautical shoes is not proper for someone of your caliber. A stud in the office will gravitate much more towards Italian elegance than to Stanford privilege. You can achieve that by adopting a monochrome approach and throw some color in every now and then.
Your shirts should embrace minimalism and solid colors. It is ok to have some fun but remember that studs are all about attitude and clothing has to follow that. A good, slim-fit, white shirt with black, slim-fit trousers is hard to beat. You can go stealth mode and do black on black (it will make you look slimmer too) and also throw some basic colors like navy blue, olive green, dark gray and such. The keyword here is elegance, people has to know a real alpha just entered the room; remember that at all times.
To tie or not to tie?
Wearing a tie to work tells other people that you have a position that is either managerial or above. A true stud has a rebellious heart so we don’t really enjoy wearing something that tightens up our necks. If you have to do it, make sure you look mesmerizing while at it. For example, dropping on you a tailor-fit, jet black suit and tie with a pristine white shirt and shiny shoes on a special occasion might drop like a bomb making people look at you as if The Godfather just entered the room. The key here is not to make the tie a habit unless it is absolutely necessary. When a suit is necessary on a daily basis stick to classic colors like navy blue, olive green and, of course, jet black.
Stay away from jeans
This is a golden rule when coming to the office, if you want to show elegance every day. Even if you do the whole motorcycle thing as a real stud and park your bike outside, stay away from jeans and keep it sober and elegant. This is a rule at all times unless you are over your fifties and want to show people you are still rocking. In that case scenario a pair of navy blue, boot cut jeans with boots and a pristine, slim fit, white or black shirt can show everybody you are still going strong.
You need to wear shoes, real shoes. This is an absolute must even those days you want to throw in a pair of jeans to the mix. Real men wear real shoes. The whole chinos with checkered shirts, and modern, sober sneakers look is for all the rest of serial-produced men. Studs are elegant, smart and look that way too. It’s not about looking like you don’t care or looking as you care too much, but there is something manly about sharpness, especially when you dress formally. Let me tell you that a man on a suit or a shirt and trousers with shiny shoes is as masculine and attractive as the same guy wearing jeans and a rolled-up-sleeve basic t-shirt underneath the leather jacket. Don’t underestimate the Italian stud spirit; wear shoes to the office.
A stud’s night out
Because after a long week of work we all need to have some fun let’s take a look at what studs wear on a night out. We’ll do it piece by piece so you can put together the perfect outfit telling the world you mean business.
There are three types of jackets that yell out your alpha status to the world. The first is obviously a leather jacket. What you have to absolutely understand about them is that leather jackets say something. There are many different types and styles out there and they all say something out loud. For example, a rocker stud needs to wear a black leather jacket with a front zipper; a biker jacket. Wearing one of these you’ll look completely badass. Furthermore, match it with a very simple shirt and a slim fit pair of jeans with boots and you won’t go unnoticed.
The second type is the aviator style that has fur on the inside and is usually brown. You can think of Tom Cruise in Top Gun just without all those silly patches. These are usually very tight to the body and look great zipped and unzipped. They are warm enough to wear them with just a t-shirt underneath (you know what kind).
The third type of jacket you could go after is a simple denim jacket. There are a plethora of brands out there selling them and you can get them for spring/summer or for winter with fur on the inside. It is important that you stay away from the eighties washed out jean color and stick to dark blue or black. Lift the neck on it for that fifties James Dean look with your short hair and you’ll drive more than one girl crazy for sure.
Last thing I should say about jackets for studs is that you should avoid all those that are for climbing a mountain, rainproof material, or even those leather and denim jackets that have artificial cotton hoodies coming out of them. Stick to the classics and wear them with attitude and elegance.
Are you going out to a bar? Are you going to a club? Maybe both? Well, in those case scenarios you can go a little tighter on your jeans and should try to keep them dark. A skinny black jean with a little distress here and there will make you look thinner, taller and more like a stud. It has to look like it was the first thing you found before reaching for the door. Wearing a belt with your jeans or a chain on the side can accentuate your stud status. Don’t clutter your bottom part though, it should look casual and simple. Real men don’t spend hours in front of the mirror but love looking good.
There are at least two very different ways in which you can address footwear when going out. Let’s take a look at the different alternatives:
– Sneakers – When going for sneakers you have to make sure they give out the right message. There are some brands that show people your rocking personality, like Converse (traditional boots like Slash, for example), Vans for an adventurous extreme sports fan and Adidas Originals coming straight from the 90’s. You can throw into the mix some pristine white sneakers but they have to be just that, pristine white, and you have to keep them that way. I would say these are your last choice, mainly because it may be hard to keep them clean sometimes. Finally, forget about flashy running shoes, they are for runners, not studs (if you happen to be both, leave those for your morning jogging).
– Boots – Leather is the perfect match for an alpha male like you. A good pair of boots with or without laces is always a game-changer. I’m not talking about flashy Texan boots but short, leather boots with a side zipper or frontal laces like Dr. Martens for example. You should stay away from shoes, especially from classic ones. Studs don’t like non-badass footwear outside the office.
Should you wear a shirt or should you wear a t-shirt for a night out? Well, a t-shirt is always more suitable for bars and casual drinking. If you are out to a club, then wear a good, slim fit shirt with some cool, sober motifs on it. It is crucial that you undo at least the first two buttons and show some skin from your neck and upper chest. Avoid any kinds of flashy colors and if you are rocking some Converse boots go for a t-shirt. On the other hand, if you are going for some black leather boots throw in a cool shirt that fits you tightly and properly. Stick to basic colors and, if you can, stay in a monochrome scale. Believe me, a white t-shirt that fits you properly, black jeans and a good pair of leather boots can outdo thousands of dollars’ worth of branded, trendy clothing. A stud knows the game and the game is sobriety in your dress code.
Accessorize like a man
This is a very touchy subject for most men. We tend not to wear anything as an accessory. That being said there are three things a stud can wear to reach the next level.
– A watch – This is definitely a man’s accessory. A watch, a good, sober, elegant watch can separate kids from adults. People will notice it on your wrist and immediately show you some respect.
In fact, that is basically all you need to start with. The next two accessories are for the moment you feel comfortable reaching the next level, maybe breaking the rules a bit.
– Rings – A good ring can be a game-changer. For example Keith Richards, one of the biggest studs to ever set foot on Earth keeps a skull-like ring a friend gave to him to remember he is not immortal. How’s that for a cool ring? I’ve seen it again on Johnny Depp’s fingers and other famous studs too. Chose one ring and stick to it. Avoid gold, always.
– Bracelets and collars – Bracelets are made for your wrists and not for your ankles. This is an epic fail because you will come up as anything but a stud. Also, thickness is an issue, you don’t want to look like you’re bragging wealth, so keep it thin. Finally, stay away from a leather bracelet unless you’re allergic to metal. They shout out loud you’re trying too hard. Collars need to follow the same structure: thin, short and silver in the best of cases.
Conclusion – Let your personality shine through
Dressing like a stud is something that will take you months to achieve and you have to do gradually, feeling comfortable with each step. It is important that, taking the basics given here, you let your personality shine through. For example, I love leather jackets. Sometimes I just throw in a black leather jacket over a pristine white t-shirt and some black jeans with boots and I’m immediately next level. That is letting my personality shine through my stud outfits. Believe me, it is a game changer when that happens. Don’t overthink it and do it naturally applying the golden rules explained above. Are you ready to let that stud you are shine through? It’s time to do it right and let the world notice like never before. You got this, stud.